Saturday, August 9, 2008

The Olympics

I love the Olympics. Love them. I don't understand people that don't want to watch the Olympics from start to finish. There is so much human drama, so many amazing moments, and thanks to cable television, now I can watch 3500 hours of uninterrupted coverage!

The United States has had a lot of great Olympic moments, and many of them came against Russia (or the Soviet Union), but this year it's different. In the coverage of the games I've seen so far, the Russians just don't look the same. They already seem defeated. Instead, China has risen to take the spot of arch-nemesis to the United States, sort of like Lex Luthor to our Superman.

To me, the Olympics are also a time to become an expert in a bunch of sports that I know nothing about. Sort of like horseracing when the Kentucky Derby is about to start. All of a sudden I start spouting all sorts of nonsense that I read on the internet and pass it off as my own. Normally, you couldn't pay me to watch gymnastics, but during the Olympics, I'm glued...glued I tell you! Same with syncronized diving, badminton, fencing, one-man dingy racing, and basketball...okay, I'm kidding about the basketball, I actually do know a thing or two about that sport.

So, if you can only watch one thing this August, make sure it's the Foxsports Net preview of Nebraska football, but if you can watch two things make sure the second one is the Olympics.

More to come on the Olympics...including my thoughts on China...

4 comments:

Unknown said...

You forgot to talk about the excitement!!! Like how we were jumping up and down at 11:00 last night watching the 4 by 100 relay. What a great race, and the american to have the fastest split, not Michael Phelps... How cool.

Ingrid said...

Wow Rob, you never cease to amaze me.

Anonymous said...

Still waiting for those thoughts on China....

Anonymous said...

There is nothing quite so masculine and competitive as 2 guys in speedos diving in unison.